Walks and Tours
Walks and Tours
Old City Walls
Sightseeing walks and tours in and around Southampton offer visitors great opportunities to explore and make the most of a day or short break in the area. Join one of the many guided or self-guided walks and discover the history and culture of this magnificent city.
Guided Walks are run by. Southampton Tourist Guides Association
They organise guided walks on a variety of themes. They are the only official tour guiding organisation in Southampton. As a consortium of fully qualified tourist guides they are dedicated to serving residents and visitors to the city and its surrounds in their quest to finding out what there is to know about this part of England's origins, history and culture.
Special theme walks, and tours for groups, and people with disabilities including visually impaired people, can be arranged on request. Young persons of 16 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Groups of more than eight people must contact the Booking Secretary during office hours on 023 8057 1858 to make a private booking, for which there is a reasonable charge.
Public Walks Programme
All Heritage walks will start from the railings on the South side of the Bargate and last 1½ - 2hrs
Price: £4.00 P.P. ($7 US; €5) – Accompanied Young Persons Under 16 Free
January, February, March, April* & May
Every Sunday at 11:00am
Titanic Disaster - Commemorative Walks
*Please note that tours commemorating the sinking of the Titanic take place during April and leave from Holyrood Church (corner of High Street and Bernard Street) taking place at the following times:
Friday 11th 10:30am 12:30pm 2:30pm
Saturday 12th 10:30am 12:30pm 2:30pm
Sunday 13th 10:30am 12:30pm 2:30pm
Monday 14th 10:30am
Walks are limited to 25 persons per guide. This means that ‘first come – first served’ may apply.
To Book a Place: Please Call: 023 8057 1858 (9am to 5pm) or on-line at www.outabout.co.uk (no booking fee) at least 3 days before your chosen date/time. £4.00 per person (Accompanied young persons under 16 free). Groups of 8 persons or more need to arrange a private tour. Click here for more details.
June & July
Every Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at 11:00am
Every Sunday at 11:00am (please see below for Specialist Walks programme)
Every Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday
October, November and December
Every Sunday at 11:00am
Please note that STGA also conducts Heritage walks from the Bargate at 11:00am on Bank Holidays (excluding Christmas Day) throughout the year.
Specialist Public Walks*
August only - at 11:00am
Monday: Southampton During World War 2
Tuesday: Perils and Plots
Wednesday: Southampton's Vaults (a selection)
Thursday: Parkland Promenade
Friday: Medieval Churches and the Friary
Saturday: Jane Austen in Southampton and the Spa Period
Sunday: Western Walls and Vaults
*Please note that this programme may change from time-to-time, please refer to their calendar for up to date information.
- Self-guided walks. Explore all that Southampton has to offer, at your own pace.
- Southampton Old Town. Follow England's well-preserved, third longest stretch of medieval town walling and step back in time to find out more about Southampton's Old Town. Download map below.
- QE2 Mile. The QE2 Mile is the pedestrian route that runs through the heart of the city from the Cenotaph down to the waterfront at Town Quay. It links the city’s parks, new cultural quarter, shopping high street, old town and our waterfront. It is the most visited part of the city and has many historical features, the Cenotaph, Titanic memorial, Holy Rood church that was bombed in the war, and the famous Bargate stands at its centre. The QE2 mile is the economic heart of the city with more businesses along its route than anywhere else in Southampton. Download map below.
- Titanic Trail. The trail takes you around some of the memorials and locations associated with Titanic. Download map below.
- Curious about...Southampton walks. Take fabulous walks of discovery, and have fun finding answers to clues which tell you more, whilst reading our stories about the most interesting facts.
Other Ideas for Tours of the Area
The following local companies offer a variety of private guided tours, with specialised services for those wishing to travel in a little more comfort.
- Discover the South
- WestQuay Chauffeurs
- Southampton Chauffeur Hire
- New Forest Platinum Tours
- Lionheart Travel
Blue Funnel Cruises regularly run short cruises lasting between one and three hours. These are a perfect opportunity to explore the city’s quays and marinas and the River Hamble, and enjoy a spectacular view of Southampton and the busy coastline, from the water.