Southampton is a cultural city with outstanding art galleries, magnificent theatre, live music venues, festivals and art-based events.
- Southampton City Art Gallery is an internationally renowned regional gallery run by Southampton City Council and home to one of the best publicly-owned collections in the UK outside London. The gallery provides a broad programme of exhibitions and activities throughout the year.
- The John Hansard Gallery at the University of Southampton is one of the best places to view contemporary and visual art.
- Solent Showcase is a gallery and exhibition space at Southampton Solent University, featuring contemporary visual art that encourages engagement, discussion and participation with the whole community.
- Smaller venues such the Art House Gallery and Cafe in Above Bar or the Brompton Gallery in Old Northam feature a range of work by local artists along with workshops and events.
- The Mayflower Theatre is the largest theatre in Southern England, regularly showing West End Shows, musicals, opera and ballet.
- The Nuffield Theatre at the University of Southampton is equally renowned for the quality and varied programme hosting Shakespeare to contemporary drama.
- The Hub at Southampton City College offers first class drama by leading companies mixed with raw talent.
- The Berry Theatre in Hedge End opened in 2011 and offers an innovative programme to the local community from drama to film.
- The Point in Eastleigh is the region's venue for contemporary dance and performance including theatre, film and live music.
- Southampton Guildhall is a multi purpose venue staging major rock, contemporary and classical music events by national touring acts.
- Turner Sims Concert Hall at the University of Southampton has a reputation for hosting a varied programme including classical, world music and jazz.
- The Brook in Portswood is an intimate venue where you can get up close an personal with the bands and sing along to classics from the tribute bands.
- The Joiners in St Marys hosts performances from some big names in rock, punk and metal scenes.
- Talking Heads in Portswood is known for its open mic nights, comedy and eclectic mix of music.
- The Cellar in West Marlands Road is the place for Northern Soul, fusion and jazz funk acts.
- A number of restaurants and bars host live music nights.
If film is your passion, then we recommend the multi-screen Odeon cinema at Leisureworld, or Cineworld cinema at Ocean Village for a brand new blockbuster. For a more intimate cinema experience, visit Harbour Lights Picturehouse cinema which overlooks Ocean Village marina. As well as a select few of the latest blockbusters, you will find a handful of independent and European films to enjoy.
Use the What's On pages to find out about the latest gigs, exhibitions, performances and leisure activities in the city.